Delhi capitals IPL Team
The Delhi Capitals IPL team was founded in 2008 as the Delhi Daredevils. In December 2018, the team changed its name to Delhi Capitals.
GMR Group and GSW Group are the current franchise owners of DC.
The home ground of the team is the Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi.
DC still needs to win an IPL title.
Table of Contents
- It is an IPL team.
- It was established in 2008
- Delhi capitals’ IPL name until 2018 was Delhi Daredevils.
- In 2018 it became known as Delhi Capitals.
- The name Delhi Capitals symbolizes the identity of Delhi.
- The Parliament House and the Ashoka Chakra inspire the logo of the DC.
- The Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Stadium, located in Raipur, Chhattisgarh, is the second home ground of the team.
- The team played its first IPL match on 19 April 2008 against RR in Delhi.
- DC’s highest score was 231/4 against Kings XI Punjab in 2011.
- The team’s lowest score was 66 runs against Mumbai Indians in Delhi on 6 May 2017.
- Rishabh Pant is the team’s captain in 2023.
Delhi Capitals Logo
The current logo of Delhi Capitals was adopted in 2018. Parliament House and Ashok Chakra inspired it. For every detail about the logo, click this link- DC Logo.
- DC launched New Jersey in 2022.
- Jersey is in blue and black color.
- The large tiger logo is made on the jersey.
- At the time of the establishment of DC in 2008, GMR Sports Pvt. Ltd. bought the franchise for $84 million.
- But in 2018, the GMR Company sold 50% of the franchise stake to JSW Sports Private Limited.
- In the same year, the team’s name was changed to Delhi Capitals.
- The owners of the DC team are Parth Jindal (Director of JSW Sports), and Kiran Gandhi (Director of GMR).
Delhi Capitals IPL history
DC in IPL 2008
In the first IPL of 2008, the captain of the DC was Virender Sehwag, and the coach was Greg Shipperd.
The team played 15 games; one was cancelled due to rain, and won seven.
DC finished 4th position on the scoreboard after losing to RR in the semi-finals.
DC in IPL 2009
In this IPL, the team won ten matches and finished third in the points table after losing to Deccan Charges in the semi-finals played at Centurion.
DC in IPL 2010
In this IPL, the team’s captain was Gautam Gambhir; the team played 14 matches, out of which they won 7 and lost seven.
After losing to Deccan Charges in the match held on 18 April, they could not even reach the semi-finals and finished fifth on the scoreboard.
DC in IPL 2011
In this IPL, the team’s captain was Kumar Sangakkara, and the coach was Darren Lehmann.
DC franchises did not retain any player in this IPL.
Of fourteen matches played, DC could only win six and got the bottom position on the scoreboard.
DC in IPL 2012
The captain was Virender Sehwag in this season, and the coach was Eric Simons.
DC has done well in this IPL; the team won 11 matches and got 3rd in the score table.
DC in IPL 2013
In this IPL, DC’s captain was Mahela Jayawardene, and Coach was Eric Simmons.
The team could win only 3 out of 16 matches and stood 9th on the scoreboard.
DC in IPL 2014
The team captain in this IPL was Kevin Pietersen, and the coach was Gary Kirsten.
Out of the 14 matches played, DC could win only two and finished last on the scoreboard.
DC in IPL 2015
This season of IPL, the team was captained by Jean-Paul Duminy and coached by Gary Kirsten.
DC won only five out of fourteen matches played and finished seventh in the points table.
DC in IPL 2016
In this IPL, the DC franchisee released most of its players.
This time, the captain was Zaheer Khan, and the coach was Paddy Upton.
Out of fourteen matches played, only ten were won and faced defeat in eight.
DC remained in the 6th position in the points table.
DC in IPL 2017
Captain Zaheer Khan and coach Paddy Upton remained in this IPL.
Of the 14 matches played, DC could win only six and remained in the 6th position in the point table.
DC in IPL 2018
The team captain in this IPL was Gautam Gambhir, and the coach was Ricky Ponting.
Of fourteen matches played, DC could win only five and finished last in the score table.
DC in IPL 2019
In this IPL, the team’s captain was Shreyas Iyer, and coach was Ricky Ponting.
In the 14 matches played, DC won 10 matches.
The team could not reach the finals, but finished 2nd runner-up.
After 2012, the team entered the playoffs for the first time. Like 2012, the team finished in 3rd position.
DC in IPL 2020
Team Captain Shreyas Iyer and Coach Ricky Ponting remained in this IPL.
This time all the matches of IPL were played in UAE.
DC reached the finals with the best performance in their IPL history.
In the final held at Dubai International Stadium on 10 November 2020, the team lost to Mumbai Indians (MI) and finished first runner-up.
This was the best performance of DC in IPL. However, in this IPL, they could not win any of the four matches played against MI.
Dc in IPL 2021
In this IPL, Shreyas Iyer could not play due to a shoulder injury, Rishabh Pant was the captain, and Ricky Ponting was the coach.
DC played eight matches in this IPL, out of which he won 6. However, due to Covid-19, all other matches were suspended indefinitely.
DC in IPL 2022
Rishabh Pant was DC’s captain, and the coach was Ricky Ponting in this IPL. The team won only 7 of the 14 matches played, and they faced defeat in seven games, finishing fifth on the scoreboard.
Who is the captain of DC in 2023?
Rishabh pant is again the captain of DC in 2023.
Which is the home ground of Delhi Capitals?
Arun Jaitley stadium in Delhi is the home ground of the DC, while Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Stadium in Chhattisgarh is the second home ground.